Frequently Asked Questions
What are craft reservations and what do they entail?
- Hobby Prodigy craft studio provides an open space to get together with friends and other prodigies in a fun, safe environment. During each craft social, prodigies and pupils alike can make a customized craft pre-chosen from our Craft Menu and reservation form.
- No minimum requirements– maximum of 50. Craft solo, with a friend, with a date, or with a group.
- A craft reservation is similar to an exclusive custom restaurant reservation. You are not forced to eat the same meal, so why be forced to do the same craft? Instead of prepping food, we prep custom craft materials to serve you and your guests the day and time you have reserved.
- **72 HOUR CUSTOM REQUEST POLICY: Custom Stencil Requests for Crafts that include Vinyl Art, String Art, or Glitter Art cannot be fulfilled with less than a 72 hour reservation. Reservations with less than 72 hours or same day reservations/ walk-ins can choose from a limited stencil selection IN STORE ONLY.**
- At Hobby Prodigy we do not teach step-by-step classes, but rather, our pedagogues (craft assistants) are trained to answer any craft questions guests may have after guests read the instruction tutorials provided. This gives every guest prodigy the opportunity for individual craft options, rather than being forced to create the same craft.
- Once you arrive at Hobby Prodigy, you check in at the hobby host table and settle in a seat. At this point, a pedagogue (craft assistant) explains how to fill out your liability form and other specifics of the maker space. Once the pedagogue receives your liability form with your craft reservation information, your pedagogue serves you instruction tutorials to review, then serves your craft materials. At this time, you may begin your craft .
- Craft projects cost from $20 to $75, depending on which craft you choose. Craft prices may fluctuate depending on special events, travel, and large custom requests.
- Outside craft materials are strictly prohibited. Guests are provided craft materials & tools according to craft menu projects offered by Hobby Prodigy (craft materials may sometimes be on backorder or out of stock). See Craft Menu HERE
Why do I have to fill out a Liability Form?
- Hobby Prodigy strives to provide every guest a fun and safe environment, and we want our guests to feel at home while crafting.
- We have sharp materials, heavy tools, and dangerous materials that can cause harm if not used properly.
- Although we provide safety gear needed, we are not responsible for bodily harm due to misuse or accidental harm.
- A liability waiver is a legal document that a person who participates in an activity may sign to acknowledge the risks involved in his or her participation. By doing so, the company removes legal liability from the business or person responsible for the activity.
- Liability Form Policy: Each customer sitting at a craft table, weather crafting or not, must COMPLETELY fill out a Hobby Prodigy liability form.
- Hosting a party with ages 17 and under? A liability for must be completely filled out prior to the reservation. If form is not properly filled out, the guest will not be able to craft.
- Click HERE for a printable version of the Liability Form.
How do I make a craft reservation?
- Shop our Craft Menu /Wood Sizes/Design Library to pick a craft.
- Each craft has a different price ($20-$75), challenge level (from 1 as easy up to 3 as hard), and average completion time (1 – 3 hours).
- Custom designs are available for vinyl art, glitter art, and string art.
- Once you have decided on a craft and design (if applicable), then go to the Reservation Page, fill out the host information, and choose crafts for yourself and your party.
- Crafting with a friend or in a group? Reserve ALL crafts in ONE reservation form.
- **HOST POLICY: The person filling out the reservation form is the “Host” and is responsible for reserving crafts for all guests attending within the reservation.**
- 15% gratuity is automatically added to parties 6 or more.
How do I customize my craft?
- We pride in the variety of craft options available and the ability for prodigies to customize their crafts.
- Crafting Vinyl Art, String Art, or Glitter Art? You can choose a stencil from our extensive design library. Simply choose the craft (wood size, etc) then choose the design category and design code. Repeat this process as needed for additional crafts on your reservation by clicking “Add ____ Craft.”
- Found a photo online that inspired you to make something like it? Choose “Upload My Own Design” when making your reservation! Upload that photo to your craft reservation, and we create the stencil custom to the detailed instructions given in the comment section of your reservation. – See 72 Hour Policy
- Crafts not included in customization—jewelry and dog collar.
- Having technical difficulties uploading your photo? After submitting your reservation, simply email your photos with reservation & craft details to email@example.com.
I’m crafting with friends! How do I make sure we are sat together?
- In the past, we required Hosts to reserve all crafts under one reservation, but it was confusing for our hosts! Now, simply appoint a host- please ensure the first person making the reservation is the host- and every other guest can choose their host’s name when making their reservation!
- 15% gratuity is automatically added to parties 6 or more.
- HOST: Your host is the person organizing your event. Choose one person to be “in charge” of your event. The host will choose your party’s time and date, and all guests will use the host name on their reservation. Hosts may also reserve crafts for guests under this reservation form if desired.
- GUEST: That’s you! (Unless you’re the host.) If you are with a party, please select: “I am A Guest” and tell us your host’s name. If you don’t indicate a host, we cannot seat you with your party. If we have questions about your reservation, we will call you directly, not your host.
- PARTY: Any group of 2 or more is a “party.” Any party of 6 or more will fall under our tipping policy.
- PRIVATE PARTY: Please contact us HERE for details. We do not guarantee private crafting unless you rent out the entire space.
Do I really need to reserve my craft?
- YES! It takes time to design, prep, and coordinate each reserved crafts’.
- Craft reservations help create an organized and efficient maker space for all, and help give every customer the best experience.
- Reservations with less than 72 hours or same day reservations/ walk-ins
can choose from a limited stencil selection IN STORE ONLY.
I want to craft, but I didn’t make a reservation!
- Walk-ins are still welcome to craft with us during our designated walk-in hours. We have a limited Walk-In menu available, but you will not be able to customize your design.
- If you would like to see if we have room in queue to complete your custom request with less than 3 days/72 hours, please call us at 412-787-3500. **Rush fee may be applied**
How do I move, cancel, and/or change my reservations?
- You will receive a confirmation email after submitting your craft reservation.
- You can reschedule or cancel your reservations up to 72 hours in advance of your scheduled to attend. (This policy does not apply to private parties. Your event coordinator will outline these policies).
- Crafter No Show Policy: Our pedagogues and designers work very hard to ensure that all crafts are prepared for our reservations. If you fail to attend your reservation without providing notice, you will be asked to pay the full amount of your reserved crafts immediately. You will not be permitted to reschedule or make additional reservations until the original reservation is paid for. Future reservations may require a deposit of up to 50% of the cost of the crafts reserved.
Can I Bring My Own Drinks & Food?
- Yes! Hobby Prodigy is BYOB – Bring Your Own Beverage. Wine, beer, and beer-like beverages are welcome.
- WE ID- Under the age of 21? Under Age drinking is STRICTLY prohibited.
- However, when using power drills, no liquor is allowed for safety’s sake.
Do I have to be 21 to attend?
- No, just to drink alcohol.
- IDs are required for anyone and everyone who brings/drinks alcohol.
- An adult must accompany anyone younger than 18 if alcohol is present.
Are we a family-friendly company?
- Yes, we are a family-friendly business! We provide events for groups from their tweens to adulthood. However, an adult must accompany any children younger than 13 (unless otherwise specified).
- Crafters ages 13-17 must have a liability form completely filled out and signed by themselves and a guardian. Click HERE for a printable version.
- Please note: Children younger than age 7 years of age may have extreme difficulty with prodigy crafts and could be subject to hazardous materials and tools.
- For safety reasons, we do not recommend children under the age of 7 in the craft studio.
How do I redeem a gift card?
- At least one form of Proof of purchase is required to redeem gift card(s):
- Purchaser’s First & Last Name, Phone, & Email
- Redeem or purchase gift cards in-store only.
- Gift cards cannot be replaced if lost or stolen and expire six months after the date of issue.
- We cannot accept any gift card that has expired.
What if I don’t like my D.I.Y. craft?
- Hobby Prodigy is a D.I.Y craft studio.
- DIY DEFINITION: abbreviation for do-it-yourself; the activity of decorating or repairing your home, or making things for your home yourself, rather than paying someone else to do it for you.
- DISCLOSURE: Hobby Prodigy is NOT liable for “Crafter DIY Remorse”. Refer to craft challenge levels and average craft times as stated on our website and craft menu.
- Hobby Prodigy cannot determine nor be responsible for the outcome of your craft.
- By signing the liability form, you agree to these terms and agree to pay for the craft materials used.
What if I run out of time?
- D.I.Y. crafting is a different experience for everyone. Hobby Prodigy was created to give everyone their freedom to create in a fun and safe environment.
- Some crafts take longer than others, and sometimes crafts cannot be completed in a 3 hour time frame (depending on design and size of craft).
- Guests are welcome back to complete their craft at no charge.
- In some cases we can send you home with craft materials to finish your Prodigy masterpiece.